Thursday, May 10, 2007

Time for a rant!

I’ve been quiet lately, being completely disgusted by Lebanese politics (or the farce that passes as such). In fact, I’ve been turning my attention to entirely non-political things as of late.

But today’s headline from Naharnet “Saniora Wants Saudi to Name 11th Minister” caught my attention and sent me into a deeper level of depression with regards to all things Lebanon.

We’ve already been regaled with tales of “Lebanese settlement” to the crisis, ironically being hatched in meetings between the Saudi King and the Iranian president….neither of which are technically Lebanese, last i checked. And now this:

Prime Minister Fouad Saniora on Thursday welcomed Saudi efforts to end the ongoing political crisis and said he supports Riyadh’s naming of the 11th “neutral” minister in a national unity cabinet.
“I agree to leave the choice of naming the 11th minister to the Saudi kingdom, neither to the ruling team nor to the opposition,” Saniora said in an interview published by the daily As Safir.

He said that this alternative was best for the pro-government March 14 coalition and the opposition since Saudi Arabia is the sponsor accepted not only by the rival camps, but Iran as well.

Well, gee fellas, thanks! Why don’t we just do away with the middleman all together? Let’s have King Abdullah declared ruler of Lebanon, and he can appoint whatever ministers he wants. Why bother asking the Lebanese leaders at all? It’s not like they have much say anyway. And don’t even get me started on asking the Lebanese PEOPLE for what they want. We’re so far down the food chain, I don’t even think the folks in Iran and Saudi Arabia realize we exist.

I have absolutely NO HOPE that this country will ever be saved. And what’s worse, I don’t really think it’s worth saving anymore.

No comments: